My daughter recently started “club volleyball”. This is for girls who want to compete at a higher level.
When your kids win, you are victorious with them. It is easy to cheer them on. It is easy to encourage their team mates. It is easy to tell them everything is going great. Isn’t it great when they win?
When they lose, it is much harder. It is such a teachable moment. Winning doesn’t happen by yourself. It happens in a team. Volleyball is not a solo sport.
Things that being on the team sport are
- Communication – everyone relies on it. If it is silent, everyone gets in their heads. They have to know who has the ball and where it is going next.
- Trust – if you cannot trust your team mates when they tell you they have the ball, you can’t do your best.
- Encouragement – connection to let the last point go and focus on the here and now
- Dignity – there will always be a winner and loser – making sure you are good at both
- Covering for others’ weaknesses – no one can be great at anything, how can you help each other during the volley
- Shake off the bad mojo – there will always be another point, match, game and volley . you need to focus on what is coming next and let the last one go
- Progress – there is only getting better with the continual play
- Resilience – go dig that ball and get up for the next play
Living only happens in teams. Who is on your team? Do you like them and trust them? Do you communicate or withold? Everything is hard before it is easy.
Winning is great but losing teaches you everything.